While this survey admittedly captures a small sample and is not scientific, the results are still interesting. For instance, the results suggest that the turnover of a writer’s editors is more common than the turnover of her agents, and that many of these writers are satisfied with their writing lives. If you’ve ever thought that a writer doesn’t have to have a bestseller or earn a living writing to be satisfied with her writing, this small sample supports that theory.
My heartfelt thanks to the writers who completed my survey. I appreciate their honesty and admire their tenacity.
If you'd care to comment, please do so at my website:
1. Are you actively writing now (10+ hours per week)?
Yes: 23 (100%)
2. Since your debut came out, how many more of your books have been released (not including the debut or any indie-pubbed books)?
Zero: 6 (26%)
1 or 2: 14 (61%)
3 or more: 3 (13%)
3. Do you currently have a contract for your next book?
Yes: 13 (57%)
4. Are you still working with the same editor you had in 2010?
Yes: 5 (22%)
No: 18 (78%)
5. If you had an agent in 2010, are you still working with the same one?
Yes: 16 (69%)
No: 5 (22%)
Had no agent: 2 (9%)
6. Do you now earn a living by your writing?
Yes: 8 (35%)
No: 15 (65%)
7. Have you had a NYT bestseller?
Yes: 2 (9%)
No: 21 (91%)
8. Have you indie-published since 2010?
Yes: 2 (9%)
No: 21 (91%)
9. Are you satisfied with your publishing life?
Yes: 14 (64%)
No: 8 (36%)
10. Are you satisfied with your writing life?
Yes: 21 (91%)
No: 2 (9%)
I'm happy to announce that I'm now being repped by the awesome Michele Rubin at Writers House. :)
This amazing 3D-animated book trailer was created by talented artists Jesse Cabrera, Michael Jaso, Alicia Samela & Ali Phelps under the direction of Jason Wiser. I am thrilled to share it with you & invite YOU to share it with everyone else!
To celebrate & spread the word, I'm running a "Pay It Forward ARC Giveaway Contest" on my blog from now through May 7th, so please come, check it out & thanks to everyone in the Tenners for being such an unbelievable support while I was (im)patiently Ms. Wait Waiting McWaiting!
I *finally* feel like a Tenner (and Elevensie)! WOO!
ALL UNQUIET THINGS, by Anna Jarzab (Coming of Age, ages 14 & up)
ESCAPING THE TIGER, by Laura Manivong (Coming of Age, ages 9-12)
HARMONIC FEEDBACK, by Tara Kelly (Today, ages 12-14)
LEAVING GEE'S BEND, by Irene Latham (Historical Fiction, ages 9-12)
THE MARK, by Jen Nadol (Coming of Age, ages 14 & up)
PALACE BEAUTIFUL, by Sarah Deford Williams (Historical Fiction, ages 9-12)
THE RED UMBRELLA, by Christina Diaz Gonzalez (Historical Fiction, ages 9-12)
SHOOTING KABUL, by N.H. Senzai (Today, ages 9-12)
THREE RIVERS RISING (Historical Fiction, ages 9-12)
TORTILLA SUN, by Jennifer Cervantes (Today, ages 9-12)
To see the entire list, click here: http://www.bankstreet.edu/bookcom/
JUST ADD MAGIC – Just the Book for your Book Club!
JUST ADD MAGIC by Cindy Callaghan is a fun new book for middle-grade readers and a great choice for your book club. A magical story packed with fabulous food, unusual ingredients, and a great cast of characters, JUST ADD MAGIC is the perfect blend of mystery, magic and fun that is sure to please ‘tweens of all different reading levels.
The author has just announced a special promotion: A Club Kit. If your club chooses JUST ADD MAGIC for its selection, you may win a special kit including:
- An assortment of recipe cards
- Book marks
- Wooden spoons
- Surprise cooking utensil
- Discussion Guide
- Book Club Meeting Activity Ideas
- Letter and brochure for your teacher/librarian
And guess what else? The author may Skype live into your meeting.
All the 411 you need to enter to get the Club Kit:
1. You need to have at least 4 members in your book club and an adult moderator.
2. Send an email to Cindy (firstname.lastname@example.org) explaining in no more than 3 sentences why your book club wants to read JUST ADD MAGIC
3. Hurry! Because this promotion ends June 30, 2011
That’s it! If Cindy picks your group, she will send you the above goodies!
If you win, be prepared to take a picture of your book club with each member holding a copy of JUST ADD MAGIC for Cindy to post on her web site.
Visit www.cindycallaghan.com that features Cindy’s blog, recipes, a discussion guide, details about upcoming appearances, her bio, and more!
JUST ADD MAGIC (Aladdin M!x, Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing Division; $5.99)
- Current Mood: happy